August 27, 2007

More Musings on Words

I have always felt that words were ethereal beings, like transparent butterflies with fluttering wings, that swoop, dive, and flash throughout my head day in and day out. But once I summon the courage to catch those twittering, translucent insects and set them down on paper, they become still concrete statues. Deprived of their ceaseless energy, they are all the more beautiful upon being examined closely. Every time I complete the task of solidifying words, I am both heart-broken that they are condemned to an infinite stationary life and ecstatic that the world can finally see their essence clearly.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

That's all pretty wise...

Thoreau is great, so incredibly quotable.

MH said...

I think this is one of the most beautiful descriptions of writing I've ever read. Seriously.

And we can all understand it.

samuel said...

sexy