August 20, 2007

Love Poem: A Series

Hello old friends and new friends. I have a little time after class so I figured I'd try to get this blog started and share with you something that I've been working on.

I had a rather exciting revelation a month or two ago when I realized that the reason I had never written a decent love poem was because of how I was trying to write it. It's not that I'm not moved by love (I am to a crippling degree) or that I have nothing to say about it, it's just that I was trying to write a logical, well-rounded and cohesive love poem. When I started thinking about it, I realized that is not how love comes to me. It comes in fleeting feelings, it changes everytime I come into contact with it and so I decided to write a thematic series of poems. I started a new notebook, and I've been numbering verses; alot of them are only two or three lines long, but I know that I'll have at least a few that are pages along by the time I'm done with this.

I'm now gonna post a few, there's nothing special about them, they're just the ones that catch my eye at the moment.

3
You're the girl that every man in America
Wants to stay at home and watch crappy TV with
5
When I am old and rich
and can afford to commission a sculptor
he'll make a marble statue for my elegant hallway
Immortalizing you in my arms
legs around my torso
and your breath tickling my ears
6
I hope that you understand
that no matter what happens
or where your life takes you
You could do no wrong in someone's eyes
7
I loathe shopping
and I wish that
whenever I had to go shopping
instead I could just go
to the beautiful woman store
and walk around and watch
beautiful women be beautiful
8
Most women have a
futile battle with my ego
but with you, I never even
stoof a chance
9
Have you ever seen
someone with one arm
and you have to use
all your energy just
not to look at
their missing limb?
Well, everytime you come over
I'm biting my tongue
just to stop myself
from saying, "I love you.
I love you, I love you,
I'm crazy about you"

That's all for now. Hope to hear from you all soon.

3 comments:

Micaela said...

Nathan, If this is Nathan McDowell. I LOVE YOU, however if it is another fortune person named Nathan, i love you just the same.
Micaela

Nathan said...

I love you (if this is Micaela Krol. Just checking because I know so many Micaela's)

Post something already.

MH said...

I like this idea. A lot. Personal favorites were 7 and 9. I like 8 too, although I don't think anyone ever stands a chance against my ego.