January 9, 2008

An Arachnescent Star

I fell in love with the basement spider
Watching her spin her doilie web
Tip-tipping her little legs on the wall
I wished she'd wrap them around me instead
And I'd lay on the sheets with my head propped back
My eyelashes parted, and my hair all a mess
The air between us was thick with desire
She crawled to the edge of my bedrest
"Pretty thing," I said, "You don't have to come close
The poor girl would just die if we took it too far
Vixen fangs and long gentle legs
The moon lit her up like an arachnescent star

Now I won't try to say that I've never killed
A spider is a spider is a talented pest
But where is the threat in my Lovely's small fangs?
Where are the blades in her spinerettes?
A widow may poison, if only for spite
Recluses and Hobos are aggressive and threaten
But my little darling hardly has a bite
And with time she could weave us a heaven
Of gentle little threads that break and warp
At my touch, but keep my dear Beauty alive
Oh, I could never have her for my own,
But she's trapped me like a housefly

And gently tapping buggy feet
Will soon lure me to pleasant sleep
So she can spin my dreams into
Beautiful white dreams of passion
And when the morning sun is red
She'll weave me love songs by the bed
And if our love is good and true
What a beautiful web we'll fashion

But Darling, small, and brave and true
If I should tell the world of you
They'll think me mad, and in a fright
Might smash you at the very sight
And could I blame their instinct's fear?
Although you're gentle small and dear
It's human nature, truth of life
To live in fear and kill in hype

2 comments:

Melody said...

Nice!

khrishna said...

i really like the subtle rhymes you've woven into this poem. its fitting, because it sort of makes the poem web like. connected by strands of repeated sounds.
i like it. like a bed time nursery rhyme it has a childlike charm that doesnt get annoying.

which is hard.

where i think you suffer a little is in the direct statements like "dOh, I could never have her for my own" the language is dull and it sort of looses steam when you read them.
but it reads wonderfully without them:) overall very nice.