September 24, 2007

an experiment

While you were gone and our chat had collapsed
While you were off doing whatever chore had arisen
And I was alone with a pen and a sober mind
I caught a glimpse through another perspective
Of what this whole damn thing might be
"I tell people about you," you taught me yesterday
"But I twist it around so that I seem like the cool one."
And we laugh because you're such a scared little child sometimes
And we both know I'm too old to keep growing
But it wasn't always that way
And you saw that too

And when the trees shoot out flower-buds
From their branches like fuschia bullets
And laughter is plentiful
And good times are free
Or when we're just roaming around in mittens
And Superman socks
Looking for a bit of dope to inhale
I'm not thinking of you
And you're not thinking of me
But sometimes I'd love to have you around
And sometimes sometimes
You want that too
But the flower-buds bloom
And the pot burns away
And the thoughts drift to insects and book reports
Even your return triggers no response
And I am alone with a pen and a sober mind
Drawing angels and hearing you say
"Life is funny sometimes-
"Life really is funny sometimes."

"Yeah..." I say
And we part
To look at pictures we'll never take

1 comment:

Nathan said...

You're sitting right across the table from me right now. I really liked this.